Sunday, October 10, 2010

mad world.

Since when are movie prices $10?? I guess I haven't been too see a movie in the theater for about 5 months but really? That seems a bit excessive. I get where people think that raising the price on everything will help them, but its not the solution. I think people need a more intensive history lesson because it seems that us Americans never learn from the past. During the Great Depression, movies were $.27 a ticket. Obviously, money was worth much more back then, but it was still a relatively inexpensive "get away" for people that were going though a hard time. Throughout most of the Depression, Americans went regularly, devotedly, almost compulsively, to the movies…the movies offered a chance to escape the cold, the heat, and loneliness and they brought people together. Movies became an escape from reality.
SO again my point, what exactly is the point of making movies so expensive, it just makes people less likely to go?

What was the spark of this rant you ask?
I went to see Wall Street this weekend with my mom (to whom they should have only charged $5 because she slept through half of it). Even though I know absolutely nothing about business, nor am I much interested in it, I thought it was really good. In relation to my previous point, it paralleled a lot of today's economic issues to the ones during, and prior to, the Great Depression. Another thing I haven't done in awhile that I did this weekend was go to church. The priest made a good point (pretty much the only one I caught), he said that from the time we are all little, one of our first words is always "mine." We can be such selfish creatures. Maybe if people weren't so obsessed with "things" and wanting "more".. we wouldn't be in this mess that we are today. People are so concerned with their own "misfortunes" and "situations" most of the time we don't take two seconds to stop and look around us.

I feel so blessed to be able to go to the amazing school that I do and to have to opportunity to study something that I love. Sometimes it gets so stressful I think that we forget to appreciate how awesome it is that we have this amazing gift, and how many people would give anything to have to opportunities and experience we are having.


What is The Definition of Insanity?
"It's doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

think about it -D

No comments:

Post a Comment