Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It Just Works

The following are three book designs that I believe to be successful.


I chose this book cover because of it's use of typography to make a graphic element. I think it is interesting when you look at the black 'W/M' by itself, it isn't how you would typically write a 'W' or and 'M'. But the mind puts the two together and connects the words with ease. Continuing the graphic across make the cover less static and more visually interesting. (+ I enjoy the playful use of the dot in the 'f').


What I liked most about this book cover was the unusual use of the title. I think when most people are thinking about where to put the title for a book they automatically think, "the top of the page." Also, the cover is covering half of the graphic on the page, another intriguing element. I haven't read this book, but the title to me seems like almost a question. Placing the title over half of the graphic makes me question what the rest of it looks like.. causing me to 'imagine'. I feel like the cover works well with the title of the book, and makes me want to read it. Therefor, I believe it is a successful book cover.

AND last but not least:

I picked this as my last book because, unlike the other two books I chose, this cover uses photography. I like the cleverness to the photograph, playing off of the title of the book. I also like the idea that the title is smaller than the author's name, which I think is something you don't see a lot in book covers. It makes since in this case, however, because while "My Unwritten Books" is the title of the book, the most important part is that is is George Steinbar's unwritten books. The title is almost an after thought, something to be placed in parenthesis, which can be interpreted through the bookend on either side of the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment