Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Journal #14 (Grounded)

Coming into the graphics program I was floundering, to say the least. I really didn't have much of a direction, or a clue, on where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do. With virtually no previous design experience I was lacking the confidence required to be successful in this program. I think the most important thing I have gained from the past year is confidence. Not only confidence in my work but more importantly, in myself.

My roommate the other day noticed the difference in my attitude towards class, projects and especially critiques. She commented on the change from the beginning of the semester when I would come home pretty upset and down from being critiqued in class, to now. Having critiques in class several times a week has taught me more than any speech class could ever hope to. While I still struggle to talk about my work, I think it is something I have extremely improved upon. As well as being able to stand up in front of my peers without feeling so anxious that I might throw up. Critiques are no longer something I dread every morning when I wake up. I now look forward to showing my hard work and receiving feedback from my professors and peers to help make my work stronger.

Lastly, I have really enjoyed making the connections and friendships that I have this year. First semester I worked at home a lot. After realizing that working in the lab was a much healthier creative environment, I believe my work not only improved, but I met so many more people that have made this entire experience all the more worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment